mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: question about size
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:44 am 
EGG
EGG

Hello...my name is Kim and my beardies name is Nira. I have a question about her size and subsequent feeding options. She is almost 6 months old and her current length is 16 inches and weighs in at 340 grams. After reading here I'm very concerned about her rapid growth rate. Especially since she's never been a huge eater, according to another forum I read. She falls behind them badly, as far as amount goes. She mostly eats roaches that are very well gut loaded, hornworms, occasional super worm and some salad daily. I guess I'm concerned about not feeding her daily because everyone keeps telling me she needs to eat as much as she wants until a year of age. I'd appreciate any feedback you all could give me on this subject.... :D Thanks

Dog, Dozer, born 9/25/08

Post subject: Re: question about size
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:06 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

As far as I'm concerned she's near adult size and anything from 350 ~450 gm and 16~21 " is a healthy size for a dragon. They will eat as much as you feed them and the more they eat the faster they grow which will put a strain on young bodies when it occurs too quickly. Salad daily and a small amount of live daily or larger amount every second day is OK. Keep a check on her weight and see that it just increases slowly or tapers off and you'll be OK.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:47 pm 
EGG
EGG

Hey Rick...I was hoping to get your opinion. This is a dumb question but do you think there could be another reason, medically, why she has gotten to adult size in only 5 months? When she was smaller the most roaches she ever ate in a day was 22, and that was only a couple of times. She would normally eat between 10-15. She would even go off the live food totally for 3-4 days at a time and then resume exactly where she left off at 10 roaches a day :roll: ....a couple bites of salad and that's it. If I give her worms,no matter what kind, she'll eat 4-5 and she's done. I guess I'm trying to understand how she's gaining in excess of 20 grams a week sometimes when she has never gorged on any food,and in fact, is content to go without, yet all these other dragons are eating 60-70 crickets or roaches a day and weigh far less. It doesn't make sense. She seems healthy and very content. Do you know of any other problems that could cause rapid weight gain that I should have checked? I'm currently awaiting results on her stool sample, but other than that, she has not seen a vet. I know this seems stupid, but it's really been buggin me after reading here.

I'all get a picture of her and her setup on as soon as I figured it out :D

Dog, Dozer, born 9/25/08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Take Rick's advice, he knows best!

But just wanted to add that Shrek weighed in at 700 g, and even Fiona (who looked small by comparison) is 525g. I think you've said before, Rick, that some of the beardies in the UK are quite a bit bigger than yours?

Sorry, I can't remember what they weighed at various points which would have been helpful. Obviously we lost Shrek when he was six, but Fiona is heading for 8 years old now and is still fit and healthy.

Bearded Dragon: Fiona
R.I.P Shrek and Stumpy - you are sadly missed.

For articles and useful information about how to care for Bearded Dragons visit the main site: http://www.mybeardeddragons.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:12 pm 
EGG
EGG

Well, thanks webmaster! That makes me feel better. She just seemed rediculously enormous compared to what Rick was saying they should be at her age. What does Fiona eat as her staple diet? If I offer Nira 8-10 roaches, which she doesn't always eat, daily and her salad and she is still putting on a minimum of 15 grams a week, should I continue or lessen this amount? Will she get enough calcium if I take away daily feedings? She won't eat dusted salad, or non dusted if I'm being honest! :roll:

Thanks for your help. I never thought I'd stress this much over a lizard! Ugh

Dog, Dozer, born 9/25/08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:51 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Our adults get 8~10 adult roaches ever second day lightly powdered with calcium weekly ( we do also get them out in the sun for an hour at a time on a regular basis). All our current guys weigh about 380~400 gm and are fit and healthy. UK dragons seem to weigh a good 100 gms more but I have a felling it's due more to overfeeding than anything else. She seems to be self limiting at the moment so cutting back to 8~10 roahes every second day won't hurt in the least.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:18 am 
EGG
EGG

OK. That is what I'm going to do. This will hopefully slow down her weight gain. I will weigh her tonight and then again next week to see where we are. I really appreciate the input. Does she only need calcium every other day since she is just about adult size? Last question....I promise :P

Dog, Dozer, born 9/25/08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:42 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Once growth slows the need for calcium to build bones also slows so powdering roaches every second day will be OK. Remember that the assorted grubs you feed are also fattening so those should be used more as treats. We don't mind questions - it's the one you don't ask that'll cause you problems.

Rick