Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: feeding 8 month old
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:28 pm 
EGG
EGG

hi everyone,
im emma and im new to this site, we have bought an 8 month beardy named louie but im a bit unsure how much i should be feeding him?

the lady we got him from said he eats 12 crickets a day which i thought was quite alot, so anyway i put 2 in his viv and they were still there the next day, he hadnt caught them, my sister suggested locust as her beardy eats these so i bought some and he loves them, i think the crickets may be a bit fast for him as he has quite a large viv? If i catch the crickets with the tweezers he will eat them i just dont think he can catch them, any suggestions

so if i give him crickets, how many per day?
or locust, how many per day?
also ive offered him rocket, kale, grated carrot, grapes, strawberrys[ coz she said he likes them]
but hes not interested in any of it, any advice please?.

Post subject: Re: feeding 8 month old
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:54 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Firstly dragons need a bit of time to settle in and will often go off food for 7~10 days so not eating much isn't something to worry about. As for quantity, 12 full size crix a day would be ok for an 8 month old dragon if he's a reasonable size. Can you tell us how much he weighs and how long he is? Try not to get him eating locusts - they're expensive and dragons will often refuse to eat anything else once they've been eating locusts for a while. Try putting the crix in the fridge for 4~5 minutes it slows them right down and should help him chase them. Hope this helps.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:10 pm 
EGG
EGG

hi rick,
thankyou for your reply, i just measured louie and he is 14 inches long, not sure on his weight, not really sure how to weigh him.
thanks for the advice on the crickets, could i possibly give him a mix of crickets and locust? If so how many, as the locust are much bigger than the crickets.

also one other thing im a bit concerned about, he seems to sleep alot, is this normal?

the other night i turned his lights off at 7.00pm and he was sleeping under some fake leaves so in the morning at 7am i put his lights and basking lamp back on, he was still in the same spot, i had to go out all day so i thought once he wakes up he will probably go and sit under the basking lamp but when i returned at about 5pm he was still in exactly the same spot, so he had been there in the same spot for almost 24 hrs, he was quite cold and lathergic, i actually thought he was dead. So i put him under his lamp and then he perked up a bit, so should i physically put him under his lamp in the mornings, or should he be doing this himself?..

sorry that was quite long!

many thanks
emma.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:25 pm 
EXPERT
EXPERT

You can mix them but you really will be better off with crix until he's finished growing. As for quantity try and judge by eye - if the locust looks 3 x crix size then treat as 3 crix. :D As I said a photo of your viv would help as would knowing the temps you're running it at. However he may well be trying to brumate and this will help you understand his behaviour viewtopic.php?f=4&t=477 . At this age however it isn't a good idea to allow this so you need to keep the temps up this year and continue feeding, for veg. you can't go past this site http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html - before you worry to much do let him settle in for a few more days.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:35 am 
EGG
EGG

thanks rick,
some useful info there, i will try and post a pic of his viv tomorrow, his viv is almost 5ft long, at one end is his basking lamp and at the other end is a heat pad and a uvb bulb ( i spoke to a man in a reptile shop and he said the long strip bulbs are better cause they cover more area, so will be putting one of those in instead) the temp with everything on reads 80f, i dont think thats quite warm enough is it? Could that me why hes quite lathargic? And how can i get the temp up? This is everything he came with, thats how the lady kept him, poor baby, maybe hes too cold :(

emma.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:35 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Can you put a photo up of the viv? Also tell us what you are using for lights, heating and type of thermometer. Given that we'll be able to help refine your set up - just don't go buying anything else 'til we've had a look for you! :wink:

Rick