Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Feeding Help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:56 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Hi All

As you may be aware, I've had some issues with my little 9 month old Rankin dragon.
He was off food for a couple of weeks and then I went to the vets, turned out he had worms pretty bad. So I've been giving him his 4ml meds daily, last does tomorrow.

Thing is he has not been interested in food at all. No salad no live. I've tried Hoppers, Dubia, Calci Worms, even Wax worms and Crickets. Nothing will get him interested even remotely. He just looks at them.
I mean I understand after his worms he would have had such a bad gut, prob gone off food altogether.

Any tips on helping him get his appetite back?.
Its been like a month since he touched food. And Vet said he has no other issues on the bloods and poo. Also I paid £60 for the x-ray, no problems there.

He is not to bad in himself really. I'm just very worried about him not eating :(

Post subject: Re: Feeding Help
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:36 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Part of the problem will be brumation - not much you can do about that side of things. However you can help to some extent if you can get some high protein food down him daily, over here we have a basic one called Wambaroo don't know if you can get it over there. As an alternative you can try this (one our vet suggests for boosting sick reps.) http://www.hillspet.com.au/products/pd- ... anned.html This I would think you can get, as it goes off in a couple of days however the best way to use it is to freeze it in an ice cube tray then just thaw one cube at a time for use. You may find you're feeding him most of the winter I'm afraid - we've 3 who did this over winter and they're only just starting to feed now!!

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:07 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

Thanks Rick. He just seems so little to go into brumation. Would feeding some like Chicken baby food help maybe?. As think I'd struggle getting hold of that stuff you suggested.

I have got some of that reptile critical care powder stuff. But it says about giving it them in there drinking water. Which as you know they wont touch. So, maybe make up the dose and syringe it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:38 am 
EXPERT
EXPERT

Critical Care made into a slurry will be OK and the Hills stuff is available world wide I thought. Both can then be carefully syringe fed. If you can keep a check on his weight and as long as he doesn't loose any he should be OK.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:55 pm 
ADULT
ADULT

The addition of a pro-biotic into the syringe may also help. Avi-pro + is an example that I give to Reuben every now and then for a gut boost.
Good luck.

RIP - Reuben
RIP - Archimedes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:50 pm 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

The only thing is dosage with these. But I'll give it a go.
Thanks guys. Will keep you updated.