mybeardeddragons.co.uk

Discussion and Advice Forum for Bearded Dragon Lovers
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoppers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:48 pm 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

OK so my 2 babies have been settling in for a week now.

Went to feed them their morning crickets and they both just sat there. I went away, giving them some space to chow down.
Come back 15 minutes later, crickets eating the veg in their bowl. 2 Beardies sat on the basking spot still.

They were both licking their lips and there was a lot of head cocking.

I bought some small/medium hoppers yesterday whilst out so thought I would give them a go.

They couldn't get to them fast enough. It was so sweet watching them stalk the hoppers and then Gru, who was up on a branch did the whole jump out of the tree onto one thing. It was hilarious.

I have been feeling really poorly recently(long term illness) and this really cheered me up today. Looking onto growing more of their fresh food as I have a greenhouse.

They ate 4 each and I also managed to get them to eat a mouthful of sweet potato and kale each as well. Sandy ate 2 more this evening and Gru ate 1 more.

It was nice to see them moving around and jumping and running to catch their prey.

Going to get some more hoppers soon and got some dubia coming as well.

1 tortoise - inherited
1 giant African land snail
2 aquariums with assorted fish and snails
2 bearded dragons
2 adult locusts
3 caterpillars form the garden

Post subject: Re: Hoppers
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:30 am 
JUVENILE
JUVENILE

That's great. It is awesome to watch them hunt isn't it, I'm glad its all going ok with yours
Although my Bane is a few months away from being 3 years old, he has day where he just cant be arsed to hunt, and literally waits until they walk about an inch away from his face and he'll ave em!.
And mine will only touch his veg if my wife puts it in the viv, and he see's her do it. Madness.

It's funny actually. I keep my Hoppers in a large Cricket keep on the floor next to the viv cabinet. When he's out of the viv, he will ALWAYS go to the keep and spend about 5 mins trying to catch them through the plastic. Pretty much every time. He must know he cant get them as its the same.....every time lol. He stands there, catching nothing but a plastic wall and air, and I end up with Dragon spittle splodges over one side of the Cricket Keep. Crazy, but fricking funny none the less :lol: .

Post subject: Re: Hoppers
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:25 am 
HATCHLING
HATCHLING

They are such characters and entertaining to watch.

Sandy tried to hunt a hopper down yesterday. She started to go for it head on and of course it jumped away from her. So she sat looking at it for 30 seconds then slowly went around the back of it and came at it from behind. I swear she looked so smug when she got it.
Gru mostly just waits for them to literally crawl into his mouth! He does hunt them if he didn't eat much the day before. He steps on them and squashes them so they can't run/hop away.

I think they both might be getting ready to shed. Neither has much of an appetite. Gru was charging up and the viv yesterday stopping to rub himself on whatever was available. Sandy still has a bit of an appetite but keeps rubbing her face/mouth/chin on everything.

1 tortoise - inherited
1 giant African land snail
2 aquariums with assorted fish and snails
2 bearded dragons
2 adult locusts
3 caterpillars form the garden